Register now and plan to attend the population health workshop to learn how your hospital can address community needs in the areas of transportation, housing, education, access to healthy foods, physical activity,and others.
If you're looking to leverage your abilities to make a real difference - and real change in the health care industry - you belong at Banner Health. With facilities in six western states, we're committed to not only providing the finest care possible, but to advancing the way care is provided. To achieve our vision, we seek driven professionals who embrace change and who possess the passion and skills to make it happen.
Come join our team as we strive to continue to provide strong support of the pathology services we provide to the Banner Clinicians. In this positon you will be responsible for the preparation, photography, dictation and performance of surgical specimen dissections and work with our residents while you're exposed to specimens with high educational content and will have added expertise to learn gross pathology.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Group Join our nonprofit faculty practice plan associated with the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine in Phoenix and Tucson. Our 800-plus clinicians provide primary and specialty care to patients at highly ranked Banner - University Medical Centers and dozens of clinics while providing mentorship to more than 700 residents and fellows. Our practice values and encourages the three-part mission of academic medicine: research, teaching and excellent patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY The Pathologist Assistant (PA) provides technical assistance that includes grossing of specimen, gross photography and dictation. The PA is an Advanced Practice Professional who assists Attending Pathologists with intra-operative consultations, gross dissection and frozen section preparation under direct or indirect supervision. Performs all surgical and autopsy functions of a Pathologist leading up to, but not including the diagnosis. Provides comprehensive training, to medical residents and medical students, in the handling of gross surgical specimens.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assists in the preparation, photography, dictation and performance of surgical specimen dissections of all complexity levels providing a high quality product for the Pathologists' interpretation.
2. Provides detailed education and instruction for Pathology Residents, Fellows and medical students regarding proper gross examination and dissection of surgical pathology specimens, including gross photography techniques, selection of appropriate tissue sections for microscopic examination and additional studies, the dictation of complete and pertinent descriptions of gross findings, and assist with the freezing of human tissue removed at the time of surgery in preparation of intra-operative examination by a pathologist.
3. Assist in human postmortem examinations as required by the facility.
4. Serves as a liaison between the Surgeon and the Pathologist to clearly orient surgical specimens and clarify ambiguities when they arise.
5. Independently evaluates adequacy of renal biopsy tissue in the clinical setting and perform proper preparation of tissue for subsequent diagnosis by the Pathologist.
6. Exhibit problem solving skills of a highly complex nature that includes participation in Quality Assurance, Quality Control monitoring, assures proper instrument maintenance, specimen photography and troubleshooting according to guidelines established by the College of American Pathology (CAP), provisioning of adequate grossing supplies.
7. Maintains secure archive database of photography.
8. Participates in research, development, maintains surgical manuals and provides education to medical and resident staff. Provides technical consultation including serving as a resource for department technical in-service training.
9. This position requires advanced knowledge and expertise gained through advanced training, degrees and experience. Resolves discrepancies working with others in order to expedite cases. Duties will include the understanding and inclusion of pertinent clinical history, description of gross anatomic features, prioritize specimens work flow for gross examination and tissue processing, preparation of human tissues for histologic processing and photographing all pertinent specimens.
Requires B.S. degree or higher within the field of biological or biomedical sciences Completion of a National Accrediting Agency Clinical Laboratory Science approved Pathologists' Assistant program.
A minimum of three to five years of experience working in an academic setting with a resident training program. Must be organized and capable of supervising and training other staff. Demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality regarding specimens and the findings associated with the laboratory functions. Must be able to maintain good rapport with departmental personnel and be able to work flexible hours (e.g. evenings and weekends on-call as determined by departmental needs).
MS or PhD within the field of biomedical sciences and additional education/experience in biomedical research involving human tissue and/or experience in tissue/biospecimen banking. Prefer eight to ten years of experience working in an academic setting with a resident training program.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R20130
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.