Register now and plan to attend the population health workshop to learn how your hospital can address community needs in the areas of transportation, housing, education, access to healthy foods, physical activity,and others.
Desert Regional Medical Center is a 385 bed acute-care hospital classified as a stroke receiving center and level 2 trauma facility with an innovative , patient centered and evidence-based Rehabilitation Services Department. Our compassionate team provides a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services, including acute care rehabilitation,joint replacement & spinal surgery, neurosurgery, ICU, Telemetry, step-down care, skilled nursing, as well as outpatient therapy, hand and lymphedema clinics.
The Unit Secretary (Health Unit Coordinator) is responsible for maintaining supplies and equipment, performing non-clinical nursing tasks, clerical and receptionist duties for a nursing unit. Access to demographic information and limited Patient Health Information related to job function.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Age Specific Requirements
1. Demonstrates knowledge of how aging affects communication and patient needs. Responds accordingly when dealing with patient and visitors.
Primary Position Responsibilities
1. Communicates with all staff in pleasant and professional manner.
2. Maintains confidentiality of patient records.
3. Maintains a clean and organized nursing station.
4. Consistently answers questions and directs visitors and the patientsï¿½ family members in a courteous manner.
5. Consistently assists physicians and other hospital personnel with locating patients, charts, and answering questions at the time of request.
6. Consistently follows appropriate lines of authority when communicating information and/or screening calls (according to unit guidelines).
7. Consistently answers in-coming telephone calls within four rings: Responds to callerï¿½s needs or refers telephone calls to appropriate person/department.
8. Compiles new charts, maintains current and previous charts and files, assembles charts for transfers.
9. Consistently assembles patientï¿½s record within 30 minutes of transfer.
10. Maintains current and previous records according to unit policies/procedures
11. Consistently ensures medical records in designated area.
12. Obtains chart copies for transfer to another facility before discharge.
13. Consistently maintains the integrity of the discharge chart for medical records.
17. Consistently signs, times and dates all transcribed orders as required.
18. Consistently notifies nurse caring for patient of any STAT orders when written.
19. Assumes responsibility for the Health Unit Coordinator role, demonstrates self-directed behavior and actively seeks ways to develop professionally.
20. Show evidence of input into unit effectiveness; attends all staff meetings, and/or reads staff meeting minutes.
21. Participates in unit quality improvement activities as assigned.
22. Uses all functions of computer system: transfer, discharge census sheets, reports, print functions, etc.
23. Obtains preliminary reports as needed.
24. Transports needed items to/from lab, pharmacy, or other departments as needed.
25. Obtains emergency equipment as needed.
26. Completes other non-direct patient care duties as directed.
27. Consistently checks pre-established unit inventory and orders needed supplies.
28. Takes responsibility in utilizing and directing volunteers.
General Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supports changes in policy and assists the Department Director implementing changes in hospital policies or practices as needed.
2. Functions as a resource to co-workers. Acts as role model for other employees.
3. Ensures compliance with departmental policies and procedures. Assume responsibility for knowledge and implementation of policy, procedure, and applies to role.
4. Participates in ongoing continuing education as needed.
5. Participates in the Quality Improvement Program as requested by Unit Director. Is observant of staff performance and practices, and reports deficiencies to Department Director.
6. Follows appropriate chain of command for problem resolution approaching problem solving with a positive attitude and suggestions.
7. Maintains and improves current knowledge of regulations pertaining to long term care.
8. Reports any observed unsafe conditions to appropriate personnel.
9. Utilizes standard precautions. Ensures others observed follow Standard Precautions.
10. Handles and disposes hazardous waste safely and appropriately.
11. Consistently handles oxygen safely
12. Reports malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate department timely.
13. Ensures call lights are answered timely when not actively involved in other duties. Reports patient need to the appropriate personnel.
14.. Adheres to hospital attendance/tardiness policy.
15. Demonstrates guest relations in communication, cooperation and in giving assistance to patients, physicians, co-workers and visitors in a prompt and courteous manner. Exceeding the his component is demonstrated by the Unit achieving 4 or 5 star PSMS scores overall in a majority of months of the year.
16. Acts as the patients advocate and assures that patient rights are upheld.
17. Observes for, and promptly reports to the appropriate Clinical Manager, Director or Ombudsman, any observed patient abuse. Immediately intervenes appropriately if observes abuse in order to protect the patient from harm. Understands the law as it pertains to mandated reporting.
18. Floats as needed and in turn to specified Units within contract.
19. Participates in all Code Blue, Fire, Disaster and other emergency drill when present to ensure knows role in event of actual emergency.
19. Attends all Ethics and other education required by the Hospital, Unit or Director.
20. Other duties as appropriately assigned by Unit Director.
High School Diploma or GED
Able to understand complex written and oral instructions.
Ability to respond quickly and calmly to emergency situations.
Comprehensive general clerical skills required. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills towards all clients.
Must be able to write legibly.
Demands require working in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions and remaining calm under stress.
Must possess excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and organize work load independently.
Must demonstrate teamwork in a pleasant manner.
Job requires sitting, standing, walking and lifting minimum of 35 pounds.
Possesses audible acuity necessary for answering phones, normal conversation and patient safety.
Possesses visual acuity necessary for reading charts and other communication.
Health Unit Coordinator certification desired.
Prior unit secretary training or health care experience preferred
Current American Heart Association BLS Certification (maintain current at all times).
Primary Location: Palm Springs, California
Facility: Desert Regional Medical Center
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2005005744
About Desert Regional Medical Center
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.