Register now and plan to attend the population health workshop to learn how your hospital can address community needs in the areas of transportation, housing, education, access to healthy foods, physical activity,and others.
The CV Telemetry/Stepdown Unit RN has the responsibility and accountability for assessing patient/family health problems and resources, taking a leadership role in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the nursing plan of care as provided by the nursing team. The RN will provide technical nursing care and interventions to a designated patient population. Per the department's Scope of Service, this position requires providing services to Medical/Surgical patients, ages eighteen and above, in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individuals served. This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital. It is expected that the associate demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The associate shall support CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital's strategic plan and the goals and direction of the hospital's Performance Improvement Plan (PIP).
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Collaborates -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Goals -- Completes quarterly goals
Delivering the Mission -- Performs duties as defined in this job description and demonstrates mastery of role
Assesses the physical, psycho-social, spiritual, cultural, functional, high risk, and discharge needs of the patient and family:
- Completes and documents initial assessment/care within required time frames.
- Performs reassessments/care at intervals as required or appropriate to the patient's needs.
- Ensures that physical assessments/care includes all major body systems.
- Ensures that spiritual assessment/care includes actual/expressed needs.
- Incorporates cultural and ethnic factors into assessments/care.
- Correctly differentiates between normal and abnormal findings.
- Makes appropriate referrals for positive high-risk screens.
Demonstrates the ability to accurately access and document patient care activities and hospital processes:
- Uses computer system(s) appropriately.
- Documents in the medical record according to policy/procedure.
- Complies with incident reporting and notification requirements.
- Attends/reviews department staff meetings for informational purposes.
Obtains knowledge of/demonstrates compliance with Infection Control policies and procedures:
- Practices Standard Precautions in patient care activities.
- Practices appropriate disease specific isolation as required.
- Appropriately handles and disposes of sharps.
Provides for the education/training of the patient/family:
- Identifies and documents patient/family educational needs upon initial assessment and thereafter.
- Identifies barriers to learning.
- Provides teaching based upon identified needs.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of instruction provided.
- Assures that assessment and teaching incorporate cultural and ethnic factors.
- Assures that assessment and teaching incorporates functional needs.
Develops, implements and evaluates a nursing plan of care for the patient/family:
- Develops and implements the plan of care based on assessment findings.
- Establishes the plan of care within timeframe specific to assigned Department/Unit.
- Reevaluates and modifies the plan of care, based on the patient's response to the interventions.
- Communicates the plan of care to members of the nursing team.
- Prioritizes and delegates patient care activities based on patient assessment and staff capabilities.
- Appropriately coordinates and/or delegates aspects of the plan of care.
- Involves the patient/family in development of the plan of care.
- Demonstrates sound clinical judgment in decision-making regarding patient care.
Incorporates the plan for nursing care into the multidisciplinary care and management of the patient/family:
- Communicates effectively with physicians and allied health team.
- Coordinates nursing care with other disciplines involved.
- Involves allied health team members as necessary.
- Actively participates in multidisciplinary care conferences.
Assures that the rights of the patient/family are respected and maintained:
- Allows for privacy and modesty in the provision of care.
- Identifies self by name and title to the patient/family.
- Reports suspected cases of abuse/neglect, if identified.
- Understands role of and how to access the Ethics Committee.
- Establishes presence of consent prior to treatment(s)/procedure(s).
Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently administer medications, intravenous therapy and basic fluid management:
- Understands actions, side-effects, contraindications of drugs.
- Follows "six rights" of medications administration.
- Adheres to medication policies, practices and standards.
- Administers medication, intravenous therapy and fluid management only under physician order and guidance.
Demonstrates knowledge of unit specific policies and procedures and the ability to safely and competently use unit specific patient care equipment in the delivery of quality patient care:
- Completes Unit Specific Annual Competency Checklist.
- Obtains the necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
- Assures that all equipment is in operating order prior to use.
- Differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction.
- Uses medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer's operation guidelines.
One year recent nursing experience preferred.
C. Licenses, Registrations or Certifications
Current Louisiana RN License
JOB ACTIVITIES & PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Max. Hours per day: 0 2 4 6 8 Other
Standing 12 hours
Max. Hours per day: 0 2 4 6 8 Other
Climbing Stairs/Ladders ______________
Overhead reaching ______________
Wrist flexion/extension ______________
Max. Hours per day: 0 2 4 6 8 Other
Perform any lifting/carrying ______________
Lift/Carry objects more than
50 lbs. per day _______________
Vision acuity at least 20/40 (near and far)
Hearing acuity at least conversational
Ability to speak and understand English (language)
No Travel applicable
Minimal overnight travel (up to 10%) by land or air.
Occasional overnight travel (up to 20%) by land or air.
Moderate overnight travel (up to 30%) by land or air.
Heavy overnight travel (up to 50%) by land or air.
Extensive overnight travel (over 50%) by land or air.
This is a staff position and does not directly supervise other Associates.
CHRISTUS HEALTH is an international Catholic, faith-based, not-for-profit health system comprised of almost more than 600 services and facilities, including more than 60 hospitals and long-term care facilities, 350 clinics and outpatient centers, and dozens of other health ministries and ventures. CHRISTUS operates in 6 U.S. states, Colombia, Chile and 6 states in Mexico. To support our health care ministry, CHRISTUS Health employs approximately 45,000 Associates and has more than 15,000 physicians on medical staffs who provide care and support for patients. CHRISTUS Health is listed among the top ten largest Catholic health systems in the United States.